View Single Post
Old July 31, 2011, 08:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Yet more violence against our indigenous people in the CHT

I am sorry to present this on the eve of Ramadan, but I just came across this report, and, given that our newsmedia is not particularly thorough in reporting such crimes, thought it worth bringing to your attention.

I am Bangladeshi, and a Bangalee/Bengali, but reports like this about other Bengalis killing and raping our indigenous citizens sickens me. This is what the Pakistani army acted like in 1971 -- are we no better than them?

I generally provide links to the source article instead of citing it completely, but in this case, as Zeeshan pointed out below, the images are quite graphic. So I am quoting the article in its entirety, and non-minor members can PM me to get the URL of the source.

Three Indigenous slaughtered while trying to save girl from rape

On 30 July 2011 at around 12 pm, three indigenous Marma villagers were killed as they tried to save a young Marma girl from rape by some Bengali settlers at Siletuya Paea of Rupashi union under Lama upazila (sub-district) in Bandarban district.

The identified victims are (1) Mr. Aung Sha U Marma (70 years) s/o late Mong Chabai Marma, pictured above, (2) Ms. Hla Powang Prue Marma (40 years) w/o Mongchasa Marma (pictured above) and (3) her minor son Mong Nue Ching Marma (5 years).

According to Rupashipara Union Parishad chairman Maching Marma, five Bengali settlers sneaked into a farm house in the village at noon and grabbed 15 year-old girl of Ms. Hla Powang Prue Marma working in the farm house, and attempted to rape her.

As the girl cried out for help, Aung Sha U Marma and Hla Powang Prue Marma rushed to the spot. A minor boy, Mong Nue Ching Marma followed his mother.

The attackers slaughtered all three of them, as they tried to free the girl from rape. The raped girl has been admitted to Bandarban district hospital.

How long is this going to go on for? And how long are we going to stay silent?

All photos taken on cellphone by Subrata Saha Shuvro

Last edited by shaad; July 31, 2011 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Removal of URL because of graphic gory images