View Single Post
Old July 25, 2011, 12:55 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
\\

I would actually ask, why would the national coach be fixing that type of basic things? Wouldnt it be rather coach like Cambell or Lawson of the Academy, U19 etc. fix them? At the national level, we would rather want players to exploit their skills or master the variety of attacks. Granted, we have to accept where we are but I think we definitely need to hire more technical coaches at the age group level, let them apply that skill at the First Class matches.. That is the only way we can have a solid squad of technically sound players.

Having to fix national players technical flaws ruined whatever strategy Jamie Siddons couldve brought in to the team when he joined. Or he shouldve hired as a batting coach.. but thats a different discussion.
Dhakablues.. I appreciate what you say except Siddons had 4 years as head coach and batting coach and could have addressed this at national training and nets (I am purely talking about the national players now). It looks like Campbell has in just a month and said himself there are improvements now.

Also, what do you feel a batting coach should do? If they coach in the nets then surely they would spot those weaknesses and help? Players like Alistair Cook, AB de Villiers, Virat Kholi, Ross Taylor etc etc, all have their techniques worked on. Cook for example, changed his back lift three times during a six month period. These guys don't just leave things as they are if they need coaching. They change them and work at them, ever improving. If you have a technical flaw you work at it to be better don't you?

So I don't quite understand why BD players would be any different, unless the coach doesn't now how to make the changes? Siddons said on a few times that he was the best coach in Bangladesh. Yet we still see the most very basic errors according to Campbell.

Your comment about mastering the bowling attacks and basically leaving players' techniques as it is not the job of the batting coach, is not really a good one. The 58 and 78 all out show you what happens. Failure to be able to get past 300 shows you what happens. Not being able to win T20 matches shows you what happens. Losing series after series after series at Test level shows you what happens. Of course it is not all down to one thing, but if the opposition management, coaches and players can spot the weaknesses in the ENTIRE national squad that commentators, the media and now Campbell has quickly done, then a batting coach should start to wonder what he has been doing.

We wonder why we only have two high level batters. We wonder why BD batting averages lag way behind other teams despite us playing on batting friendly pitches. Maybe the truth about our successive batting coaches is starting to be realized and that is they have failed consistently to address the most basic of errors and issues. We pay a huge salary to the Head Coach (batting coach). I want to hear that coach say he is going to get the batsmen up to the standard of opposition batsmen rather than say he is going to leave the batters to do what they want. We have already had that and it clearly hasn't worked. Perhaps the truth is now emerging and instead of being told what to do, the batters haven't actually had this guidance.

The conclusion is that if our batters have been told how to bat then the former coaches have been missing the most obvious basics. If the coaches haven't been telling them, then they are fault for not coaching the basics. Either way, it is indeed an inditement on the quality and standard of batting advice and coaching for the national team. I feel that Campbell's comments reveal far more than just the words they use. They reveal a lack of basics expected at international level. Someone has had that opportunity to correct things (which hasn't taken Campbell long himself to start doing). Perhaps the previous batting coaches didn't want to be shown up and so just left these problems then they could blame the batters. Sadly the truth has been all along the batters didn't have the techniques to win matches, because the coaches never developed those skills.

So I sincerely hope Law is actually going to coach basics and the yawning gaps in what is needed, and not stick to his plan of just 'observing and chatting' to players. It is quite clear we need coaches who can actually coach. Campbell inadvertently, has just proven it in a way that Siddons couldn't or didn't.