View Single Post
Old August 6, 2013, 07:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum_1
Selecting Raina and Rohit somewhat makes sense as I think the selectors want to give then a chance to get back into the test squad. But I see no point in selecting mainstream test players like Dhawan, Vijay or Pujara. Apart from the players mentioned by you, I'd have also preferred someone like Vijay Zol get a chance to prove his worth.
there are so many better FC batsmen in india, raina's inclusion can't be rationalised in anyway for me. 17 test matches with a sub 30 average and an FC average in the low 40s when they have probably 15 players (or more) that average 48+ just doesn't make sense.

you have a point with rohit. and i understand the point made about not having experience in those conditions as to why they'd send pujara, dhawan, vijay etc but that's what warm-up matches should be for. A tours should be for up and coming players to get that experience i.e. you get a youngster who's never played there, they play there, then they go back and work on the improvements they learn from that experience and then that helps their overall development and means they'll be more ready when they get the national call.

the fact that mainstream national players don't have experience in SA just means the selectors didn't prepare the players properly before selecting them into national colours.

besides, there aren't enough A tours for up and coming players to get to many experiences in foreign conditions so a) a lot of national players have that issue not just the indian team and b) if they keep giving these spots to national players then the youngsters aren't getting that experience and the same thing will happen when they finally get to the national team and you just have a never ending circle where in coming national team players won't have experience in foreign conditions.