View Single Post
Old February 24, 2004, 05:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
we start to learn ka, kha, ga, gha and a, b, c, d in school at the same class. with equal emphasis. is it because of 200 years' loard language or because its an international language?
if we progress enough to give bangla the honor of an international language (someday we'll) we can speak bangla during interview. but until then, don't we need to make sure the world can understand what we have to say?
Appreciate the Socratic questions.

More than 99.99% Bangladeshis do not get equal emphasis on Bangla and English at any point during their early lives. All classes are taught in Bangla - may be a few English teachers lecture in English in some of the top schools. (I am not talking about the few English medium elite's schools here). I am really baffled by your argument: equal opportunity of learning Bangla and English.

Why should we be ashamed of another Bangali's inability to speak proper English? Some of us had the opportunity to get westernized education that only 0.01% of our fellow compatriots had. Now, imagine if the Chinese were as aggressive as the Japanese. They would have ruled us instead of England. What would we be speaking now. Our master's language - CHINESE. Right?

How will Bangla "PROGRESS TO GET THE HONOR"? Its too late to progress to get that "honor". We needed to have some aggressive opportunistic vicious ruthless warlord ancestors for that.

The English speaking world had no problem understanding what Ashraful meant. If he can't speak and gets an interpreter, we have nothing to be ashamed about that either. Countless Americans who take years of Spanish courses and grow up with Spanish kids in their neighborhood, do not speak Spanish any better than Ashraful speaks English. You need to hear Chinese NBA Basketball player Yao Ming. Neither him nor his 1 billion countrymen feel ashamed about his interviews. I wonder, if thats because Chinese is 1 of 6 "UN recognized" international languages? I doubt it.

Crickethorizon, imagine you were wrong and Ashraful reached 100. He could have gone all the way to 199. And then he would have peed on his pants. Would you be proud of the 199 then?