View Single Post
Old April 5, 2014, 07:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon
Which year? Shakib did well in 2008 in SA when he was a real good bowler. The last time was in NZ back in 2010 and Shakib did not do well there. And even that is now outside of ICC rank window of 3.5 years. Now Shakib is just his own shadow ... Hope he would be back.
true shakib didn't do well in NZ but his record there is still very comparable to ashwin's record in SA, actually it's slightly better so however you look at it shakib has been better outside the subcontinent than ashwin so far, doesn't matter how long ago it was, this isn't about rankings (at least to me it isn't), this is about who i believe is the better bowler/ player and well the stats at least support that shakib is better outside of subcontinent conditions and having watched ashwin in that SA tour i don't think the stats are wrong.

still early days for ashwin outside india though so he could very well improve just as shakib is very young and still hasn't played that much outside it either and still can improve.

if you really want specifics then shakib in his couple of matches in SA did far better than ashwin has in his but then it's really only a couple of matches and i don't think it's fair to compare home record to home record because tracks in india give far more advantages to spinners than they do in BD.

the reason why we shouldn't compare these two players atm is because their roles are very different, if they had similar types of roles then fine but they don't, you're better off comparing ashwin to jadeja atm as they both play the same role (spinner who will hopefully score some handy runs in the lower order - different to shakib who is spinner and batsman expected to take all the wickets and score all of the runs).