View Single Post
Old May 4, 2014, 01:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Dawood bro, you sound like you are on a very serious, good and strong-rigid path. Best of luck to you brother. Back in the mid 80's I was exactly about your age, back in Dhaka I did some muscle toning program. We used to live in a govt. staff flat that my dad got thru his job. We had only one but rather large verandah with my mother's (she passed away a year ago, RIP ma) potted plants, which was also used for hang drying the daily washed clothes. When I was 16 my parents bought me a bench and a 220 lbs barbell and a pair of interchangeable 30 lbs dumbbells from Gulisthan-the Bongobondhu Naitonal Stadium, and I set them up in one corner of that verandah. I also had some gymnastic rings hung from the ceiling. Today since my mom is Gone, and I have time to think back in memory, I realize how lucky I was. She used to support me very much with my workout routine and she used to have a pot of goat meat and a pot of steamed vegetable for me everyday no matter whatever else troubled her. I am really grateful to my mom and dad.

But I didn't keep it up, Dawood bro, I maintained the workout routine for a little less than a year and I quit. I tried going back at it, many a times, but I failed to continue. I would start working out again, only to quit and fade off within a week, at the max. In my early 20's in architecture school I bought another bench, a barbell and dumbbells set and somehow squeezed them and a very small studio flat but never really did anything with them. Eventually I sold them to a friend just like I did before with my weights back in Dhaka in my teens.

But, when I used to do it seriously, at least that one year, I used to follow Arnold Schwarzenegger's routines and schedule. I think I was just lucky to have stumbled upon a couple of books about Arnold or co-written by Arnold. They were very simply written, and I understood what this man was saying. That helped me a lot. This guy was genuinely a big positive inspiration for me at that time. I tried my best eat really high protein, following his advice. But I remember I used to get frustrated and often depressed as I often couldn't gather the bodybuilding powders, amino acid, high protein powder etc from GNC or anywhere. I remember feeling very positive those days otherwise. Back then I used to have a genuine high self-esteem, and I felt stronger and very energetic, which now a days I don't.

Good on your Name - Your parents named you after our great prophet Dawood (PBUH) ...the Jewish and Christian faiths also talk about him extensively as "David" in both the old and the new testaments. Your routine is very impressive, MaashAllah and very best of luck to you my brother Dawood.

Last edited by bujhee kom; May 5, 2014 at 11:54 AM..