View Single Post
Old September 19, 2004, 07:55 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Aussiebloke & ghor_jamai talk

If we talk about being brutally honest about the state of our cricket, then lets talk about the ability of our current cricketers. We more or less agree that they have telent, but they lack the technical expertise to shine in top cricket. The areas in which they lag are:
(a) Footwork
(b) inability to negotiate balls in fast, bouncy tracks
(c) maturity to hang in there and not throw away their wickets
(d) concentration
(e) fielding
(f) ability to bowl out oppositions

Now these are basics traits in cricket. Do the players have these traits? We all know about the repeated failures of our batsmen: Golla getting regularly LBW, Asharful getting out fishing outside his offstamp, Bashar's inability to stay away from hooking or pulling, lack of proper concentration etc. Every time we play, we are short of 3/4 wickets in the first 10 overs. Now this has to be addressed before everything else. Why would ICC listen to what we have to say unless we pay attention to these issues. Our work should speak for us. We dont have to beg ICC to let us play, rather we should let our game speak for itself.

Now I would like to know what BCB and Dav Whatmore has done to address these issues.
(i) What is being done to address the basic technical fault of each player? Does Dav Whatmore have any programme where every batsmen is shown the correct technique? Do we need a batting coach for that? Dav Whatmore maybe a very good coach, but maybe what we need is a batting coach to help individual players with their batting.
(ii) What is being done to improve our fielding? Is there any plan whatsoever?
(iii) What plans BCB has to search new bowling talents?

I believe it is time BCB answered these questions instead of keeping us in the dark. Unless we straighten our own house, we will be all talk.....and no one...I mean no one will pay any attention to what we have to say. Respect is something one earns, no one gives it to him.