View Single Post
Old November 7, 2006, 06:49 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me
Default This is how Champions behave when they get the Trophy

Mumbai, November 6: When Australia captain Ricky Ponting tapped BCCI president Sharad Pawar on his shoulder and gestured with his forefinger last night, suggesting that the smiling Union Minister hand over the Champions Trophy, he would never have expected to hit headlines.
Today, that uncouth gesture drew flak from all sides with batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar terming it “unpleasant”, chairman of selectors Dilip Vengsarkar calling it “appalling” and BCCI Secretary Niranjan Shah saying it may have been “unintentional” but certainly “not in good taste”.
Pawar, in return, had gestured back to Ponting, asking him to step up to receive the trophy. Then, a bunch of Australian players, apparently overjoyed at receiving the one title that has eluded them all these years, virtually pushed Pawar off the dais so that they could pose with the trophy for the flashbulbs.
Ponting, who in the past has been put under watch by Cricket Australia for his on-field behaviour, had already crossed the line on Sunday night by publicly backing umpire Darrell Hair who was sacked for the ball-tampering fiasco involving Pakistan at the Oval in August.
“I’d be disappointed for him (Hair)... He’s done what he believed was right at the time for the good of the game,” Ponting said after his team beat West Indies by eight wickets at the Brabourne.
Tendulkar termed the Pawar incident as “uncalled for” behaviour against a person who was dear to all cricketers.
In response to a query at a press conference, Tendulkar said, “I wasn’t watching the proceedings because I was travelling, but from what I heard (from others) it was an unpleasant experience which was uncalled for (action)... Firstly, it should not have happened. It’s important to show respect to the person who is so dear to cricketers and is involved with cricket. So it’s good that we avoid such incidents.”
Board secretary Shah, who sought to play down the incident, told this paper, “I also saw it yesterday and watched the video footage today. I personally I feel it was unintentional. But it was not in good taste.” Vengsarkar, former Test legend, told this paper, “You expect such behaviour from uneducated people. Cricketers touring abroad are ambassadors of the game. If they wanted to pose for photographs, they could have politely requested him. This is appalling.” Anshuman Gaekwad struck a conciliatory tone, saying, “They had won the Trophy for the first time, and the team was very happy. They wouldn’t have done it knowingly, so it shouldn’t be taken seriously. But looking at the gravity of the matter, they should have been a little more careful,” he said.

Source-Indian express