View Single Post
Old October 21, 2012, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajfar
Yes he is. He knows how to survive out there and kill time. He showed it against England back in 2010 in the Test Series that too while batting at Number 9 with the tail enders. He needs to get better at rotating the strike. Sometimes he tends to just give away maidens after maidens, which can put pressure on the player at the end other end. The reason he didn't live up to the expectation when he was in the national team is because the management never game him a real chance. They used him as an allrounder, and made him bat at 8/9. While in reality he barely bowls in the domestic circuit. Naeem batted in top 4/5 all his life for Rajshahi.

Riyad made his way into the Test team after having a killer domestic season, and he lived up the expectation for the time being. He played some good knocks against NZ, England and India. Which goes to show you even though our NCL is somewhat of a joke comparing to other FC leagues out there, but that doesn't necessarily always mean that performance from this league doesn't mean anything. Even in a low class league like ours you still have to work hard and apply yourself in order to perform. And if he can try to do the same I don't see why he can't perform in the international scene. If we are to pick the test squad based on performances from our domestic circuit I think Naeem has a real shot at getting picked to play at number 3/4. Whether he can live up the expectation or not only time will tell. I think he worked hard since getting dropped and at the very least he deserves to be in the 15 man squad.
He has been more consistent than some of the players that everyone here is dying to watch play for the national team. I'd pick him albeit his technical drawbacks and inability to pick singles, because anyone we pick in his stead hasn't shown the same level of consistency. Even if he scores a 150-ball 50, that's 25 overs of batting that others won't give you.