Old August 28, 2011, 07:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Lloyd: .. to put his foot down and ask for a team he wants

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-...ry/529952.html
Quote:
Dhoni needs to put his foot down - Lloyd
Quote:

Clive Lloyd, former West Indies captain and leader of one of the most dominant teams in cricket history, feels the time has come for MS Dhoni to put his foot down and ask for a team he wants. That is the only way, Lloyd reckoned, that Dhoni can lead India back to the summit of Test cricket...

"When I became captain I decided, fine, I have to do something different," Lloyd told ESPNcricinfo at St Lawrence County Ground in Canterbury where he had come to announce the shortlist for the 2011 ICC Awards. "I just put my foot down and said this is what I want. If you are going to be the captain you have to fashion things in your way and you have to tell the board exactly you are trying to do it. And they must back it."
The West Indies Cricket Board did not dispute Lloyd's decision. "They did [back it]. And that is how we came out trumps."..
I understand he said the above in contest of Ind. I wanted to put the same analogy for BD. Would it work? All successful captains were #1 performers, which Shakib is, they also had this aura that demanded attention of the board, selectors, players and fans. The coach must back the captain up on this one for sure to succeed. Back then (Lloyd's time) there wasn't a separate selectors panel I recall. A part of the board decided on the playing 15.

Is it time for Shakib to do that as well or we are too much politics driven to even recognize that for successful captains teams? Richards, Taylor, Waugh, Imran Khan, Vittori all had their way to pick and chose players for their team.