View Single Post
Old July 18, 2012, 12:41 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
Thats interesting to know. But one thing I'd like to ask you, personally, is would you not consider the Prophet's (saw) state as "theocratic" although it, for example, banned the production, trade, and consumption of alcohol? IMO, its not theocracy which is problematic but rather the type of theocracy (one's you've mentioned) and its tendency to divert to extremism. The easy example of this is, that its theocracies like KSA, Sudan, Iran, Afghanistan, N Nigeria that have incorrectly applied inauthentic hadiths as the sanction for stoning to death of adulterers. However, suppose Bangladesh imposed a punishment of 100 lashes which is the Prophet's proscribed penalty as per Surah Noor. It was Christ in the NT who [allegedly] said "render unto Caeser that which is Ceasar's and unto God what is God's" and not the Quran.

I've come to the understanding that God's purpose of Humanity as per the Quran - to worship God Alone - is to overcome the Challenge. This challenge is overcoming the seemingly inherent tendency of religion - in this case Islam, but applicable to all ideologies really - to collapse into extremism. There are many religious Muslims, outwardly the largest percentage of any religion. But do we estimate that even half of them will attain Jannah? How many have some aspect of extremism that is polluting their soul? How many muslims, beginning with ourselves can we say have both an Islamic and non-extremist view. Many people are non-extremist, but they're not Muslim to begin with so it doesn't avail them.
I believe it is possible to make a deep enough connection through the written word and actually love someone without meeting them. You, Asaad, are one such blessed connection I've made online through our exchanges over the years, and I cannot wait to meet you in person and have more such exchanges face to face soon InshAllah.

As you may have come to expect, I have things to say about your comments and queries, things I have mulled and labored over as deeply as I can in light of my limitations, from the time my extremely religious, erudite, intellectually honest and equally anti-sectarian father taught me how to pray.

However, my response here would totally derail the thread and that's why you'll find my response in your Facebook inbox by Friday InshAllah. I've got to get some work done over the next couple of days.

We can either have the ensuing conversation there, or open a relevant thread here and share it with the BC community. I leave it up to you bro.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; July 18, 2012 at 01:19 AM..