View Single Post
Old December 20, 2010, 07:33 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar
Default Sachin Tendulkar's humility inspires us: VVS Laxman

Sachin Tendulkar's teammate VVS Laxman could not stop praising him. He spoke to DNA about his first captain.

Whatever Sachin has achieved in cricket everyone knows about it. Everyone knows what a spectacular career he has had. In spite of all his achievements, he has remained humble that is what I admire about him the most.

His parents have to be congratulated for his upbringing. He has been an inspiration for all of us, as to how he has carried himself in spite of all the fame.

He was my first captain, and he is a very good captain. It is unfortunate that (many of) the results did not go our way which should have gone in our favour under his captaincy. I got a lot of encouragement from him in my career. He was already an icon when I came into the team. He interacted a lot with us and helped me settle into the team.

It was under him, I scored my first hundred (167) at Sydney (2000) against Australia, which was an important innings in my career.

I have been very lucky to watch him at his best from the best seat in the stadium - that is the non-striker’s end — on a lot of occasions.

The one I can’t forget was his one-day innings against Australia at Sharjah, 1998. The way he demolished the Australian attack was unbelievable. I got some 20-odd runs in the 100-run partnership.

He was in such brilliant form that my role was only to provide him support as he single-handedly helped India qualify for the final with an innings of 143 (131 balls). The joy he has given to everyone is unbelievable and I wish him all the best.

Published: Monday, Dec 20, 2010, 2:51 IST | Updated: Monday, Dec 20, 2010, 12:12 IST
By Sanjjeev K Samyal | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA