View Single Post
Old November 4, 2007, 01:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Thank you for your post C_P. Allow me to clarify.

Most Pakistanis voted for PPP in the 1970 elections, and like the PPP, wanted to illegally "share power" with AL, the outright winners. This is because they feared majority rule from a Bengali majority. No doubt such attitudes were deeply influenced by their respective political elite, but their complacent silence during the entire course of our legitimate civil rights movement starting from 1952, with rare exceptions here and there, tell us of individual political choices which have always supported the status quo.

Having said that, I do not hold them accountable for the criminal actions of organizations and individuals during the struggle, neither do I disrespect their right to support the so called unity of Pakistan, but I must say that without their demonstrable support for PPP, Bhutto and Yahiya would never have dared to do what they did.

It is possible that most Pakistanis "didn't know" the details of what was going on despite overwhelming coverage of the atrocities, but such 'deniability', be it 'plausible' or 'questionable', does not excuse their political support for organizations and 'efforts' to deny us what is rightfully ours.

Our own "complicity of silence" with regards to atrocities committed during the CHT war similarly makes us somewhat accountable too. I remember reading about many demonstrations supporting "the plight of oppressed people and Muslims" from our leftist as well as Islamic parties and intellos, but fail to recall anyone other than Farhad Mazhar and people involved with the magazine 'CHINTA' showing much enthusiasm. As an Amnesty volunteer since 1985, I knew of less than 50 Bengali Bangladeshis who participated in publicizing the truth.

Not surprising from an opportunistic and iniquitous ruling class which laments the treatment of people and Muslims in Palestine, but conveniently does nothing when it comes to our own class-based, largely Muslim on Muslim violence. Expecting them to care about our Aboriginal ancestors and religious minorities is akin to expecting HaBa to break Lara's 400*. Possible but HIGHLY unlikely.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."

On a personal note, let me make it clear that I'm not a "Paki-basher." I have been to Pakistan many times since 1971, have been treated well there as a Bangladeshi everytime especially in Karachi, and have Pakistani friends. So this is nothing personal. Just stating some facts and an opinion …
WOW, you were an amnesty international volunteer from 1985!!! You are really hardcore!!! I always thought you are a couple of years older than me, but I don't think its true

BTW, i did not think you are a paki-basher.