View Single Post
Old July 25, 2008, 11:04 AM
Cricket Legend

AF,
nice thread. But please make sure the facts are right. Regarding the Myth 1. I have following observation.
I think you were talking about Battle of Badr not Uhud (I guess that from the size of army). In Uhud both the army was larger. I would not say Battle of Badr was instigated by the Muslim Army; but we have our fair share. It was a preemptive war. The Muslim army was moved to block and if possible snach caravan of Abu Sufiyan. Learning that Abu -Jahel moved Meccan Army to protect the caravan. Abu Sufiyan also learned that and successfully evade the Muslim army. However, even after learning the fate of the caravan Abu Jahel deciede to procede towards valley of Badr - a famous site for Arab's fair. However, the full army did not move as B Zuhra and B Akhnas returned to Mecca after hearing that Abu- Sufian's escape. I do not have the time to googling; I am quoting from ibn Ishaq's "The Life of Muhammad (PBUH) translated by A Guillaume and published by Oxford University Press (pp 289 - 314). The book is considered as the most authentic book on the life of Muhammad (PBUH).

Last edited by thebest; July 25, 2008 at 11:10 AM..