View Single Post
Old June 10, 2006, 01:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ricky Ponting

Roos ready for game of their lives
By David Lewis in Stuttgart
June 11, 2006

WITH the phony war finally over, Australia enter what is effectively its World Cup final against Japan tomorrow night happy to be the underdog.

A day on the golf course after a gruelling few months of two-a-day training sessions has the Socceroos primed for the game of their lives in Kaiserslautern, in what is the biggest game in the history of Australian football.

"We have a chance to create new history," defender Lucas Neill said from the team's base at Oehringen in southern Germany.

"We're determined not to go out and lose three games in a row. That would be 'well done, you got to the World Cup'.

"That's not good enough any more.

"We have set higher expectations than that. I don't want to just make up the numbers. I don't want to fall flat on my face."

Chastened by a below-par performance in the final friendly match against European minnow Liechtenstein, the Socceroos have to raise their game against a Japanese outfit rated the No.1 team in Asia.

While the 1974 Socceroos lost two matches and drew one in Germany, without scoring a goal in the group stage, Guus Hiddink's 2006 version has its eyes on the second round and beyond.

And for that dream to be realised, a win against the Japan - or at least a draw - is paramount.

"The first game is always the most important," midfield player Jason Culina said.

"You come away with three points and all you need is basically a point from the other two games."

Stellar displays against Greece and the Netherlands have the Socceroos brimming with confidence that they can escape Group F as the second-best qualifier behind Brazil.

Assistant coach Graham Arnold said: "The games against Uruguay, Greece and (the Netherlands) set the bar pretty high and now the players know that they have to live up to it every time they play.

"Anything less just isn't going to get us anywhere."

Arnold is well equipped to discuss Japan after rounding off his long overseas playing career with a two-year stint with Sanfrecce Hiroshima.

"They will probably expect to beat us, which actually suits us fine," Arnold said.

"Australians across all codes love to be the underdogs and we're also happy with that.

"If anybody wants to underestimate us, good.

"Japan are the No.1 team in Asia but we're not overly concerned by that and we're feeling confident of getting the result we need."

Arnold gave few clues about Hiddink's likely starting line-up against the Blue Samurai, though Mark Schwarzer is expected to be confirmed as goalkeeper ahead of Zeljko Kalac.

Everton midfield player Tim Cahill is more likely to start than Harry Kewell, with the Liverpool match-winner being considered as an impact player from the bench.

Arnold also doused any concerns over captain Mark Viduka, saying his rest from training two days ago was purely precautionary to protect a sore calf.

Marco Bresciano, the Parma midfield player, is on the mend from his ear infection and will also start.

Neill acknowledged the speed and skill of Japan, which reached the final 16 of the World Cup it co-hosted in 2002, but said it held no fears for the Socceroos.

"I think everyone feels Japan is a team that's there to be beaten," Neill said.

"They were a very strong force in the last World Cup, highly committed and obviously a lot of money was put into them because of the fact they were hosting the tournament.

"But I think they've dropped off the pace since then.

"They are in a transition period, and I think it's probably a perfect time to be playing them.

"Three points from this match would just shape our whole tournament. It could decide whether we make it into the second round.

"If we beat Japan we would go into the next match (against Brazil) thinking if we got a draw it could take us through.

"That's why it's so crucial. We'll be looking to make that our Cup final."

The Sunday Telegraph