View Single Post
Old October 13, 2010, 01:12 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
To all the people hoping Jahirul will play the next match,
I dunt think BCB will change a match winning combination.! Although i want Raqib out badly

To, "Go Bangladesh"
I can't even imagine u commenting on Nafees when he won't perform well, Seeing how u are when he his batting at his best and bringing victory.
Dunt talk about consistency and Bangladeshi players at the same time, it doesnt roll together. No player in BD is consistent. Not even Sakib. However, so far Nafees have been handling the pressure well so far and filling Tamim's absence. He has been working very hard (says the Newspaper, Siddons, Sakib and others) He is determined to improve and spend as much time possible on batting.
So instead of fearing what might happen in the future, just appreciate his performance at present. World Cup is still far away. Anything can happen in between
Ofcourse I will talk about consistency if I want my team to start reaching for the top and over the last 2 years and specially over the last 9 months I have seen a lot of consistency from our batsmen. So consistency is coming and its because of the work put in by the coaching staff over the last couple of years and Nafees wasnt part of that. So one good series wont prove anything to me with respect to his consistency. And we need players who perform regularly and he is not known for doing that against top nations. I enjoyed his performance yesterday but I also saw how much width he was offered. And the way he got out when a 10 wicket victory/hundred loomed large suggested to me that he is a player from our past when a 50 was considered job well done and all your responsibilities ends there.

I also think its tremendously unfair on Imrul if we simply make Nafees the opener with Tamim after the way Imrul has been performing over the last 9 months based on Nafees's performance in this series and a series against Zimbabwe. This will put all of Imrul's hard work and endeavour over the last 1 year to waste. I am not at all a fan of Imrul and I too wish we have an exciting opener to partner Tamim but having been disspointed over and over again by the likes of Nafees in terms of performance, I dont want Nafees to be that opener. For now, I believe Imrul is the best we got to partner Tamim. And what do you mean by world cup isnt far away, for us its approximately 7 odis and 2 practise matches away and the likes of Imrul is being built up for the world cup ever since the he came into the side since the ICL defection two years ago so the world cup is very near and I believe Nafees simply cannot just come in late on in the squad and based on a few performances be selected ahead of Imrul who has been built up for this event. And Imrul's performance has been pretty decent, he is amongst the top 10 run getters in Odis so far this year.