View Single Post
Old April 11, 2013, 04:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I don't think the ball is in BNP's court especially now that AL is arresting a lot of BNP's top leaders. I would say AL first needs to soften it's stance on Caretaker govt issue and also release these leaders to open the door for discussion. Then the ball will truly be in BNP's court.

AL is now in power and it is their responsibility to ensure public safety and find a path towards reconciliation. When a company does bad regardless of whatever the market situation is, it is ultimately the CEO and the management that has to own up and take responsibility. A government is no different and therefore AL/prime minister must make the first move to bring opposition into dialogues. If there is a sincere effort to rebuild burnt bridges from AL, BNP would have to respond positively to it because a) they really do not have a high degree of public support b) at the moment they are taking in a lot of casualties in order to continue fighting on the street instead of the parliament
Correct me if I am wrong but the main means of direct interface is through parliament. If the main opposition doesn't fulfill this then there is bound to be a breakdown in communication and one could even question their right to calling hartals and perhaps even standing in elections?
(This is not a dig only at BNP/JI as AL were guilty of this when the former were in power)