View Single Post
Old June 28, 2013, 06:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
BD didn't have any FC infrastructure when they got test status though. Also none of us I'm sure have seen the quality of Irish domestic cricket, whose to say if isn't better than BD's, it's not like BD has a strong domestic standard, certainly not compared to county and a lot of Irish players seem to be doing quite well there.
Thats true. ICC granting us the test status had a lot to do with the marketing ability of our then president. I guess ICC considered the commercial etc side more than the sporting side. They probably thought country of 160 million avid cricket lovers would help grow the game. I remember Gordon Greenidge also warned us not to rush into test cricket. Who knows if ICC didnt give us test status and instead asked us to get our first class cricket in order, maybe we would have been better prepared.

But i dont think ICC will grant Ireland test status. The bitter lesson of Bangladesh will ring in their head. Besides the size of player pool, general interest in the game will also have a role.