View Single Post
Old November 20, 2006, 01:13 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylheti
Can anybody in the know please confirm the average pay of Bangladeshi army officers? I have doubts whether they are (officially and legally) paid well enough to be able to send their children abroad, paying course fees and accommodation amounting to over £20,000 annually.
Over £20,000 annually is bit of an exaggeration, unless these kids live in luxary. Why do you assume these army men are paying for it with their regular income? Don't you think after at least 15-20 years in services they should be capable enough to send their kids to good universities? Do savings and personal assets ring any bell? Do you even know what courses they came to study? KCL is well-known for War Studies, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the BD gov't partially funded these kids to study there for pursuing a career in the Bangladesh military.

Also don't you think there is a possibility that some of these kids are staying with relatives, doing part-time jobs, or may be even received scholarships/bursary from KCL? Six kids of Bangladeshi military men in one event of a single university is not an isolated occurrence. Don't be so quick to assume Bangladeshis are that poor to not afford good education abroad. If you aren’t even a Bangladeshi citizen, nor have any intention to, why do you give a damn?