Thread: Golf
View Single Post
Old June 17, 2008, 08:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Sorry, but I think your argument stinks. Perfection? That's your argument? Which sport isn't a pursuit of perfection? Look, the same argument can be given for precision sports like snooker, billiard, carom, etc. The difference is they waste a lot less space and a lot less time.

And if Golf is the kind of game that takes time to perfect, then why aren't the veterans burying Tiger with their experience more often? Following that logic, we should see Els, Mickelson, etc. kill those drives and putts, and at least be in contention, in top 5 of every final round of a major. Why aren't they doing that?

My theory is that Golf is popular because it's backed by big corporations who put a lot of money in it. Money is always good. They also buy a lot of media time because of the money. I don't want to watch golf when I can watch a thousand times more exciting tennis match, or a 20/20 cricket match, or a football match, or just about any sport, because chances are it's much less boring and much less time consuming than watching golf. Seriously, as a viewer, what am I supposed to do when a golfer is thinking for 5 minutes about his next shot? And then strolling for another 5 minutes towards the ball. Sit in front of the TV like a moron?

And Tiger? Well he is American, that's the first thing. Americans always give enormous amount of media time on an American sporting hero. And if he is really good, like Tiger here, they go overboard. I remember how cycling was a big thing in the United States just a few years back, solely because of Lance Armstrong. I suspect now it has died down because an American is not dominating any more.

I intend to pick up Golf as well...probably when I am rich, fat, white and 50+, and when I can't run and think fast anymore.