View Single Post
Old June 7, 2008, 03:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya
Default Siddons Quotes from Cricinfo and Articles

http://howrah.org/sports/16738.html
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/kitp...ry/353976.html

Quote:
"The reason they are inconsistent is that they've [Bangladesh's batsmen] got deficiencies in certain areas of their game," Siddons said. "My job is to identify those and then try to improve them. Basically give them new shots, find new ways of scoring against good bowlers."

Ashraful is one such example. Siddons felt opposition teams had worked him out, taking advantage of his short height to restrict his scoring. "He's now working on a cut shot which he never had before at international level. He generally let the ball go. We've worked on that and he's now using the cut in practice. Whether we will see it in international cricket straightaway I'm not sure. If he can produce a good cut shot then bowlers won't be able to give him that width or bowl that length to him."

For Ashraful it is the cut, for Tamim Iqbal and Shahriar Nafees it's the pull. Siddons said the Bangladesh batsmen "think they've got to hit the ball in the air because they're restricted in their power. It's another thing we're working on. Every individual has different deficiencies. We've got to work on every one of them."

A step in the right direction is persisting with some players irrespective of the immediate results. "That's the way we're going to move forward - by giving these guys confidence and experience at the international level," Siddons said. "They're learning new techniques. They're also getting more consistent. I can see it. I watch them daily; you see them in international cricket against good teams and see their failures."

He doesn't want Cardiff 2005 to be the highlight of Bangladesh's stint at the highest level. "Every time we play against Australia I want us to have a chance to win," Siddons said. "Not just because of something Ashraful does that's out of the box."
I'll give him the benefit of doubt on the 2nd to last quote,

Heres another quote

Quote:
About the home tri-series, Siddons has set a goal for Bangladesh players. "Show the world that you belong to this level," he said. "In two years down the line I want to see half-a-dozen Bangladeshi players playing in the IPL. So, raise the bar and perform so that you cannot be ignored."
That should be the goal