View Single Post
Old September 16, 2011, 12:22 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
This is the mindset that's gonna hold us back. Imrul got a chance in tests just because he was consistent in ODIs? Tests and ODI's are completely different games and selectors should've known that. Also I agree with Junaid being inconsistent but again that's associated with ODIs and not tests. Junaid's average was a 34.66 with 1 century and 3 half centuries while Imrul's was a mere 20 with just 1 half century. So Junaid's been pretty good in tests for our standards while Imrul has been poor. So to me it's a no brainer as to who to pick for the test squad.
Under normal circumstances I would say your point is valid about not mixing test and ODI performances. Our schedule however is far from a balanced one. One only has to look at how many tests we actually played in the last 12-15 months. Look at the gap between the test in England and the Test in Zimbabwe.

All other teams play regular test matches as it is included in every series so their selectors can very well decide who to pick based on each format performances alone.

We on the other hand do not have that luxury because we hardly play any tests. Imrul had an abysmal start to his test career and then didn't play any tests for a long period but during that time he improved and shined in ODI and hence the selectors went with batting form rather than test record of a distant past. Same way Junaid played well in Tests but then had a horrid, long spell of poor scores in the international games that followed. So I think it was fair to give Kayes a second chance in tests in Zimbabwe to see if he could transform the calm and patient knocks he played in ODIs into test also. Now that he has failed we should definitely look at giving Junaid an opportunity to partner tamim