View Single Post
Old December 7, 2010, 05:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Implicit in Mash's statement is the notion that even if a good player is out of form, we should let him be part of the national eleven to play himself back in. I am afraid I'm inclined to disagree -- a player can play himself back into form in the nets and FC matches. The national team is too important a venue to use as a vehicle for recuperation/convalescence.

Yes, Mash seems to be on the mend; though I'll wait to see how he performs in the next few matches before passing judgment. And yes, I'm quite aware that part of this is a move by the management/coaching staff to try to ensure that he'll spearhead our pace attack in the WC. But, to take someone else from Mash's example, what about Ash? How many chances should he have been given? Where and when do we draw the line? And is it fair to promising young players waiting in the wings to use (yes, once good) warhorses who currently aren't performing?

On average, how many chances will you give a currently non-performing player before you rotate him out of the playing eleven?