View Single Post
Old December 2, 2012, 11:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Since we are having discussions about the "rightness" of nicknames. Well I always found it distasteful among gatherings when Bangali uncle-aunty openly discusses their naak-shitkani racism: Badhua? Chirolata? Mahua? Bhabi egula to "Hindu" naam.....

Enter chachamia/ a cleric to give 'fatwa': Keyamat er din Allah shei cheleke dakbe jei Musolmaan namee mayer kache chele porichito. Yes, Snigdha falls under that blacklisted category of "hindu" naam

Probably it's my upbringing but having cousins with "christian" names or "foreign" names it doesn't bother me. As much as I love Bangla (which btw I dont have to justify to anyone anyway) I will not exactly torture myself in front of the altar of linguistic aesthetics or poetry.

This is so simple: you know when you do Akikah,(this is a festival for Muslims after the birth of a newborn to name the child) the official name you get is that name that it will be called in the day of judgement. As we grow up, we tend to pick up many nicknames from school, family etc...and there is nothing "unislamic" about that!

you know, our Prophet Mohammad(May Allah's peace and blessings be upon him) also had a nickname. it was called Al-Amin aka the Trustworthy one. I guess this is more of a Title than a nickname...

With that being said, In Islam it is not from the sunnah to make fun of others through Deragotary nicknames. here is my evidence:

Sahih International
Quote:
O you who have believed, let not a people ridicule [another] people; perhaps they may be better than them; nor let women ridicule [other] women; perhaps they may be better than them. And do not insult one another and do not call each other by [offensive] nicknames. Wretched is the name of disobedience after [one's] faith. And whoever does not repent - then it is those who are the wrongdoers.
Al-quran Surah Hujurat, verse 11(chapter 49, verse 11)