View Single Post
Old January 24, 2011, 07:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
If you mean Gayle's comment "I didn't follow much of it because it kind of clashed with my party events in Jamaica", then I will have to go with him.

In general, a wise man is very selective in gathering knowledge/information. The great Sherlock Holmes did not know if the earth moves around the sun or not. As a fan, I feel that the importance of the Ashes is overrated. It is a part of the tradition and history and certainly it is valuable; but to me the much more competitive Ind-SA series is more attractive. Gayle is a player and he can choose how to spend his time, preparation for his own cricket is more important than gathering cricketing news. I am happy with him that he has been honest with his comments.

IMO, the idea of avioiding superstars in a team is not usually good. Those guys are termed as superstars by their performances and in order to win matches those performances are very much needed. Does anyone remember the John Buchanan comment about KP before this Ashes? That 'bad boy' was supported by his captain and he earned the first test win in this series for England. However, the coach, the manager and the likes must have man management skill to use the players properly. Their incompetence should not be the reason of dropping a performer from the team in the name of destroying team's unity or some similar reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
I found nothing wrong in what Gayle has said.
He is neither an Aussie nor an Englishman.
It is not mandatory for him to be excited about Ashes which literally takes place in an upside down time zone compared to his home country.

The guy is a cricketer and I'm sure the last thing he wants to do during his much awaited precious break is to wake up all night and watch Swan Cook Beer.

They have a life.
Two excellent posts!

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles