Thread: ~Tyson Gay~
View Single Post
Old August 30, 2007, 11:21 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin
Thumbs up The Double

TG from AK joins CL and other sensitive beefcakes ...

Quote:
Gay secures sprint double

American Tyson Gay became the third man in history to win the world championship sprint double when he roared to victory in the 200 metres final in Osaka.

Gay flew home in a championship record time of 19.76 seconds four days after his victory in the 100 metres to match the feat of compatriots Maurice Greene in 1999 and Justin Gatlin in 2005.

Jamaica's Usain Bolt finished second in 19.91 and Gay's training partner and compatriot Wallace Spearmon took bronze in 20.05.

It was an eighth race in six days for Gay, but he showed no sign of fatigue or of the hamstring problem that had troubled him in the heats.

After one false start by Spearmon, Gay blasted out of his blocks in the joint quickest time and it was soon clear that it was down to him and the big-striding Bolt in the lane outside him.

There was little between the duo as they rounded the bend but Gay found another gear and powered ahead as the Jamaican faltered in the run home.

"Still tired"

After crossing the line, Gay raised his arm in the air to indicate his now undisputed status in men's sprinting.

"Oh, it feels so great but I am still tired," he said.

Gay could potentially win a third gold medal at Sunday's 400-metre relay.

"I have two golds and I want the third."

Only two men have achieved it at the world championships.

Carl Lewis won three in 1983 and 1987 and Greene in 1999.

"Maurice Greene is one of my idols," Gay said.

Gay's second title gave the United States its sixth gold 13th medal overall.

The victory also made it an even better week for Tyson's coach Lance Brauman, who also coaches women's 100m champion Veronica Campbell and was released on Tuesday after spending more than nine months in a Texas prison for fraud.

Panama power

Meanwhile, Irving Saladino has won Panama's first world championship gold medal in history with victory in the men's long jump.

Saladino won with his final leap of 8.57 metres in Osaka to extend his winning streak to 16 competitions and his 23rd victory in his last 25.

Italy's European champion Andrew Howe was forced to settle for the silver after believing he had done enough to win with his final attempt of 8.47 just minutes earlier.

Olympic champion Dwight Phillips took bronze with a best effort of 8:30, the American falling short in his bid for a third successive world title.

Panama's only previous podium finishes at a major championships were Lloyd LaBeach's two bronze medals in the 100 and 200 metres at the 1948 Olympics in London.

Al Jazeera link: http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...00EF41090D.htm
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)