View Single Post
Old February 5, 2010, 06:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
We all understand Ash has to go, but can't find a suitable replacement. Roqibul needs a break but who is there to stand up and take the opportunity? Aftab? Probably not. We desperately need three top order batsmen to take the positions of Ashraful, Roqibul and another opener who will play sensibly. I don't see them coming, do you?
The answer to your question lies here. The main problem is with the management. In Bangladesh kids start playing cricket before they start to walk and at the top level we do not find any replacement even to pathetic performers. It translates to the problems of the management to nurture cricket and cricketers.

Over and over again, the management has gone with the traditional Bangladeshi political way, they have failed to spot on the problems and find proper solutions. You will find good performances here and there only because of the 'talent' of the players. But when it comes to the planning and execution of the plan, especially for a longer period, we are always miserable.

As an example of how the management (and many of us, fans) failed to spot on the problems of the team, I may mention the WC07 performances. Apart from beating India we played terrible cricket. The South Africa match was 'Ashraful being lucky' and some personal briliances of the bowlers; but I can give it also a benefit of doubt. In all other matches, we played sub-standard cricket, lost to Ireland and almost losing to even Bermuda! But at the end, our 7th position was celebrated without spotting on or working on those poor performances.

The WI tour, where we white-washed the makeshift team, could easily go the other way. Planningwise WI themselves are probably worse than us, we were benefitted of dropped catches as well. We perceived it as a huge success! Success it is, for sure; but the mistakes were all eclipsed.

And now how that 'success' is read by the managemnt? If I can remember correctly, Siddons wanted to win the ODI series against NZ.

Last edited by Baundule; February 5, 2010 at 07:05 AM..