View Single Post
Old March 1, 2012, 12:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammark
I didnt recall this letter at all until i saw Nasif bhai's unapproved post. Then I remembered my class 6 Bangla teacher telling us one day about these extinct letters and its name. But I did not recall this one being symbolised this way.

As for the pet-kata-baw/Raw, I knew that one. It is still used in Ahomiyo, and my Assamese friend showed me a notebook of his with that Raw being used to write "Jonoshadharon" only two weeks ago. I think Dhoy-shunno-raw is the next letter to disappear. I havent seen that used in any word except "Ashar" in a LONG time!
I would hate to see ঢ় disappear, ammark. Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least a few non-exotic ঢ়-using words: প্রৌঢ়, দৃঢ়, গাঢ় . And I dare say other members can come up with more. I don't know if it's just me, but I like hearing the subtle differences between our consonants, between and for instance.

Personally, it was nice to see included in the unicode character set for Bangla. I was also rather impressed that they included two other extinct symbols that used to be adjacent to : and , which I am fairly certain were used only as Sanskrit vowels, never in Bangla.