View Single Post
Old August 27, 2006, 08:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

Quote ... unquote

"This idea that umpires are always right is a load of old cobblers. What I want to know is: Who umpires the umpires? The players suffer from their mistakes, but no one ever seems to get rid of the umpires themselves. Being an umpire is a people job: that's why Dickie Bird was good at it. Yes, he was a loony, and he made mistakes - everyone does. But he knew how to deal with people, so they respected him."
Straight talking from Geoff Boycott
"All these ICC officials sitting in their tax haven in Dubai and saying the umpire's always right - that's not going to help anyone. They've got to forget about their big egos for a moment and let us move on."
And some more straight talking from Boycott this time aimed at the ICC
"I was shocked. I thought it was a silly letter."
ICC president Malcolm Speed on his reaction to Darrell Hair's letter offering to quit for $500,000
"He does what he thinks is right regardless of the consequences. My immediate reaction was 'typical Darrell'."
ICC general manager cricket Dave Richardson on his reaction
"I don't care what the umpiring is like. In Pakistan and India during the late 1970s and '80s we would never have been on the field if we had thought that way."
Geoff Lawson, the former Australian fast bowler, feels that Inzamam-ul-Haq erred in refusing to play
"The jails would be empty if we had to rely on video evidence to prove any crime."
ICC president Malcolm Speed when asked if the lack of TV coverage to support claims of ball tampering would lead to Code of Conduct charges against Inzamam-ul-Haq being dropped