View Single Post
Old January 24, 2007, 03:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBgun
Okay your post does not tell me where I am terribly wrong?
What you said below is what I felt was wrong.

Quote:
I feel that Prof. Yunus, because he recieved the noble prize, gets tremendous attention from the media.
Yep, he did get a lot of media exposure, but that's only because he is doing a hell of a good job. Unlike our politicians. And because of that, he got the Nobel Prize.

Quote:
I never said it is Grameen banks duty to do anything.

Neither did I say anything about our politicians. I also did not in any manner say that Grameen bank gives out money for free.
But you said Grameen Bank does not ensure innovation as below.
Quote:
For prosperity to come about in Bangladesh we have to make sure that these poor people have the chance or capability to innovate. Grameen bank does not ensure that.
My point with all the politicians and charity was that, it's not Grameen Bank's job to ensure Innovation. Its the Government's job which they have been ignoring since the country got independent.

Quote:
How do you know poverty is not going to be reduced in our lifetime?
I don't know, but the way things are going, it will take either a long time or most likely the situation will keep on getting worse. Has corruption decreased? No. Is our population under control? No.

Nothing spectacular hasn't happened yet that will ensure that poverty will be reduced in our lifetime.
Quote:
And I think it is essential that we focus on both sectors (poverty reducing and the other) in order to develop faster.
I dont know whether you have read the news. But Sen came to Bangladesh this winter, he did mention that microcredit alone will not get poor poeplr out of their misery. Other steps are needed.
I agree, that's where the Government again comes into the picture million times.

Quote:
All I expressed was a concern that Bangladesh might get too reliant on microcredit and they shouldnt be for its own benefit.
Kono kichur excess bhalo na. Same goes for micro credit. But as of the moment we don't here any bad effects of microcredits. Yes it does put people in debt but that debt is very minimal. But with no proper welfare system in our country, microcredit is the way to go.