View Single Post
Old November 6, 2013, 12:33 AM
Cricket Legend

I think this conversation is veering off course. Why are we painting an entire people with one brush? I wanted to discuss the habits of BD cricket match spectators, not get into a discussion about whether Bangladeshis as a whole are uncouth. So perhaps we should try to stay on topic.

The original question was whether BD spectators should be more civil. Since this is a cricket forum, I am referring to spectators at cricket matches. In cricket, it is customary to applaud someone (home team or the opposition) when they reach a milestone such as a 50 or a 100. This is not football or basketball, where showing respect to an opponent is not customary.

When Tamim got his century at Lords, the English applauded this achievement. Are some of you suggesting that that gesture was totally unnecessary? That the spectators should just have ignored it? Are you suggesting that the English were too generous in their appreciation of Tamim's achievement?

Perhaps some of you believe that not applauding the opponent or jeering the home team is a legitimate evolution of fan culture in cricket. Personally, I find that disheartening, but perhaps I'm clinging on to an outdated notion of what cricket is about.