View Single Post
Old January 15, 2008, 07:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
I am sorry, but I don't believe most kids are natural talents like you two. Take a look at the kids playing street cricket in the "paaras" next time in Dhaka. There are always one or two with good footwork, but most don't have it. At least that was the situation when I was a schoolkid. As I said, with the school level tournaments we have now, this should imrove.
I guess it also depends on how much you follow cricket and the opportunities you get to play. I've learnt my cricket through television and by playing against a wall. By following what commentators suggest and watching the batsmen on tv, all I have to do is apply it, or at least try to, by throwing a ball onto a wall and hitting on the rebound. I know it sounds like a pretty pathetic way to practice, but it works for me, works very well in fact, and you can focus on all aspects of your batting.

The kids in your "paara" may not have had the opportunity to follow cricket like me. In my opinion, you don't need coaches or anything like that to become competent in any aspect of cricket. It's all about how much time you put into it, and how well you understand the game.