View Single Post
Old April 29, 2007, 02:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Okay, one thing that BD4eva is taking for granted is that, since many of Aussie big guys are retiring, Australia will soon lose its momentum. For good reasons, I think they will still retain the best team tag...simply due to the supply of new players that they have.
I agree. I hardly believe the new players will be any substitute for the players that are retiring. Although Australia will almost definitely still be a powerhouse, you cant expect them to carry on the way they are going without their main players. You dont have to look very far for supporting examples. Todays match for instance. Hayden, Gilchrist, Ponting - all of whom will be retiring before the next WC, the highest scores of their innings - all of whom looked extremely comfortable in the middle (barring Hayden, but we all know how "comfortable" he was in the previous games), you go down the order to Symonds, Watson and Clarke (all of whom are likely to stay on till the next WC) and you start to see swings and misses. Although these three are definitely class players and it seems unfair to judge them in the death overs, they have absolutely nothing on the likes of Ponting, Hayden and Gilly. Although theyre likely to retain the "best team" tag, theyll also be on the decline. Although theyve got a good system in for grooming players, youve got to have the talent to begin with. You cant just pick a guy off the street, send him through this "magic" system and expect him to be a world beater. And the Aussie Under 19 team isnt all that great. Doesnt mean theyre NOT talented either. Just not as much as this older generation...

Last edited by Farhad; April 29, 2007 at 02:32 AM..