Thread: Reality check!!
View Single Post
Old February 6, 2007, 11:03 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

not because under alien conditions we fall in quality, when playing Zimbabwe - Just reading the match reports and glancing at the scorecard - I fear that this is exactly what happened today - both at the top (team management - captaincy) as well as at the bottom (players themselves).

The team management chose to select 2 spinners regardless of the fact that Zimbabwe pitches favor pace bowlers (seam bowlers - like Khaled Mahmud - Forhad Reza), Captain did not choose to bowl Aftab even though he's in the final eleven (or is Aftab still injured to bowl?) and too much reliance on the spinners even with a score of a mere 153. Then the players themselves - Razzak is a good spin bowler, yet he could not bowl like he always does (or does he always bowl better in the subcontinent turning pitches - like all Deshi spinners?).

I also fear that one of our strenghts has shown us to one of our weaknesses - left arm spin bowling. Why are there so many left arm spinners in our domestic cricket? We are proud to produce so many left arm spinners, who are a rarity in the rest of the world, however, doesn't it mean that our local batsman have some vital technical flaws who are playing in the domestic cricket? Why else would players like Ashraful, Mushfiqur Rahim and Mashrafee Bin Murtoza get out to left arm spin of Sean Williams?