View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012, 09:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Well written piece as usual, but lacking in reporting skills as always. Assuming he as there at the match or was in telephonic contact with someone who was, would it have killed him to put a little context behind Sunny's wickets? At least any interestingly presented description of his wicket taking deliveries in light of the match conditions and situation would have made the piece really worthy of CI, often packed with great description of the relevant details in the middle. Details that can actually contextualize the stats and transform a good writer from cricket polemicist to a real cricket reporter.

Pyachal par'ha and wallowing in the ability to articulate one's opinion are way easier than the hard work of actually watching the game closely, taking detailed notes and reporting the action in order to put badly needed context behind the numbers. A passion for such details coupled with the passion for the language makes a really professional cricket journalist. CI is full of them but sadly almost none of them are from Bangladesh, a test playing nation. Hence Andrew Miller remains "our" best out there.
My vote is for you to be one. You seem to have a lot of in depth knowledge (don't know how) on local players and their style of play. Your writing skill is good if not better than the journos out there. But I am sure you wouldn't take the job since the money is not there and there lies the reason for the lack of interest and quality of sports journalist coming out of our country. I don't think passion fills one's stomach.