View Single Post
Old March 30, 2012, 11:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
To me a true all-rounder is someone who can make into the team both as a batsman and a bowler. Sobers definitely could, but Kallis? I don't think he makes into any current test team as a bowler. (Of the past all-rounders, the only other who could easily meet this criterion is Ian Botham.) Shakib should be able to get into any test team as a bowler. As a batsman, he should be able to make it to at least half of the test-playing nations. I don't expect him to attain Sobers' level, but he should be able to get close.
kallis was a more effective bowler in his younger days. he bowled a lot more often and bowled quicker to. nowadays his body doesn't allow it and he's such a major player in RSA's batting line-up they don't want to risk his injury. also now RSA are bringing some real genuine talented pacers out. steyn has been the best fast bowler for years now and philander is making a big mark, morkel depsite not getting wickets has always had the weaopns and de lange is a real talent so kallis is rarely needed now. they just use him to either give someone a break from bowling or if their fast men have toiled long hard hard but failed to get the wicket (doesn't happen these days) he gets brought on for an over or to kind of like steve waugh, mike hussey, ricky ponting do (of course he is a much better bowler than those guys).