View Single Post
Old June 22, 2010, 02:40 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
If you play for defeat and inflate batting average, batting will always look healthy as the batsmen take almost zero risk to accelerate scoring. Siddons is giving us that wrong impression with inflated batting averages while we are losing matches by hefty margins or even before our innings has begun.

If you play for win and batsmen can still score decent runs, only then you can say batting has improved significantly.
perhaps the batting improvement isn't stellar, buts its better than nothing.

when imrul and junaid are scoring 100s overseas, and then hitting 50s consistently in both formats, with their lowest strike rates being the thing of Javed Omar's dreams it means we have improved by a long way.

imrul and junaid are the JO's of this team.

tamim is a known quantity, and i don't even need to speak of his fire.

shakib, is going through a lean patch - and i detest his weak-*** field placements - but no can deny that he can turn any given match with either bat or ball. whatmore's team had no one on either side of the crease capable of similar things with the same consistency. all whatmore had was a twice a year phenom in Ashraful.

enter, mushy, riyad, and naeem. these guys are also going through lean pacthes, but they have shown that they can fight it out when the time demands. as beamer said, everyone will struggle from time to time, and even the great Sachin has had barren calendar years, rare though it might be.

bowling, i have nothing to say, except that i hope and pray it comes together in the next 6 months.

And current bunch of players were world beaters at U-19 level. They were already much better batsmen than the previous lot. I don't see huge influence of Siddons to make them better. Now, they became sore losers with losing mentality and that's a huge influence of Siddons.[/QUOTE]

U19 is a different level. and one of the main differences is our U19ers who may be superior at age 20 to the rest of the best, skip rigorous domestic and unofficial int'l grooming. thus, when you compare them to seasoned 24-35 year olds form the top sides, they end up falling well behind.

a good example is ishant sharma. he came straight off 19 level with no domestic seasoning. like a BD player, he started off promisingly, and then has totally falled apart. it remains to be seen what happens to Mohammad Aamir, but he at least played a full season of FC cricket and dominated there, averaging 15 with the cherry.

rubel played like 3 FC matches when he made his Test debut, and averaged 50. shafiul had fewer than 15 combined List A and FC caps. mashrafee, as is famously known, made his FC debut in a Test match!!!

#OneTeam1Dream