View Single Post
Old June 24, 2009, 06:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
How to massively increase your English vocabulary in 1.5 month?

I am going to take GRE, but like SAT, verbal section remains a problem. In SAT it was a meager 450, but in GRE i want to do better. There are a BASIC word list list of 3500 words in the book, and I approximately knows 1500 of them. My cup is not even half full

Any vocabulary stimulus plan folks?
Shardul,

The method I'm suggesting is essentially a short-term technique to help you do some mukhosto-bidya; it's probably not going to be very effective for long-term retention unless you start using these words in conversation and writing.

With that caveat in mind, I would suggest using flashcards, taking them with you everywhere, and learning from them/testing yourself whenever you have the opportunity. Essentially, write a word on one side of an index card, and the meaning/definition/example of usage on the other side. Carry about a hundred with you at any given time, and memorize/test yourself on these hundred until you've got all of them down pat. Then move on to the next hundred. After every set of three or four hundred, go back and retest yourself to ensure that you still recall the first hundred.

Hope this helps. Good luck. And remember, if you're applying for science programs, we tend to focus more on your college transcripts, your recommendations, and on how well you do in math/logic and the subject tests than on your English vocabulary.