View Single Post
Old July 30, 2008, 12:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
How to identify an Indian ( maybe sometimes a Bangladeshi or Pakistani too! )?!!

• Everything you eat is savoured in garlic, onion and tomatoes. I have no problem with that. Love all three things mentioned.
  • You try and reuse gift wrappers, gift boxes, and of course aluminum foil. The Lord dislike the person who wastes!!
  • You are Always standing next to the two largest size suitcases at the Airport. Obviously no longer possible because of the airline restrictions nowadays!!
  • You arrive one or two hours late to a party - and think it's normal. Not me!!
  • You peel the stamps off letters that the Postal Service missed to stamp. The Lord dislike the person who wastes!!
  • You recycle Wedding Gifts, Birthday Gifts and Anniversary Gifts. The Lord dislike the person who wastes!! Unwanted, not needed, table laps, clocks etc. have no use and wastage of space in the storage. Let the newly weds and others use them for a change.
  • You name your children in rhythms (example, Sita & Gita, Ram & Shyam, Kamini & Shamini.) Not Applicable!!
  • All your children have pet names, which sound nowhere close to their real names. Not Applicable!!
  • You take Indian snacks anywhere it says 'No Food Allowed' . Not me!!
  • You talk for an hour at the front door when leaving someone's house. See above!!
  • You load up the family car with as many people as possible. repeat above.
  • You use plastic to cover anything new in your house, whether it's the remote control, VCR, carpet, or new couch. Only remote controls!!
  • Your parents tell you not to care what your friends think, but but they won't let you do certain things because of what the other 'Uncles and Aunties' will think. Not Applicable!!
  • You buy and display crockery, which is never used, as it is for special occasions, which never happen. Not Applicable!!
  • You have a vinyl tablecloth on your kitchen table. No a Cotton cloth with transparent plastic over it.
  • You use grocery bags to hold garbage. The Lord dislike the person who wastes!!
  • You keep leftover food in your fridge in as many number of bowls as possible. How else one preserves them? All in one bowl?
  • Your kitchen shelf is full of jars, varieties of bowls and plastic utensils (got free with purchase of other stuff ) This is a must. We use the most number of spices. Duh!!
  • You carry a stash of your own food whenever you travel (and travel means any car ride longer than 15 minutes). Not me!!
  • You own a rice cooker or a pressure cooker. Have both!!
  • You fight over who pays the dinner bill. In BD, yes!! Here? don't go to the restaurants that much. If we go the host pays the bills (prearranged).
  • You live with your parents and you are 40 years old.(And they prefer it that way). Correct!! May be the parents stays with us is a better statement??
  • You don't use measuring cups when cooking. One word: Experts!!
  • You never learnt how to stand in a queue. Not me!!
  • You can only travel if there are 5 persons at least to see you off or receive you whether you are travelling by bus, train or plane. 5 is a too little number!! More like 15.
  • If she is NOT your daughter, you always take interest in knowing whose daughter has run with whose son and feel proud to spread it at the velocity of more than the speed of light. Do not backbite!!
  • Your wedding gifts are mostly in cash with a one rupee coin added to the note in a cover. No dollar coins!!
  • If you don't live at home, when your parents call, they ask if you've eaten, even if it's midnight. Meal is the most important act of your life.
  • You call an older person you never met before Uncle or Aunty. Respect elders!!
  • When your parents meet strangers and talk for a few minutes, you discover you're talking to a distant cousin. May be!!
  • Your parents don't realize phone connections to foreign countries have improved in the last two decades, and still scream at the top of their lungs when making foreign calls. Not hearing well will make one speak louder. The connection from the other end is still bad.
  • You have bed sheets on your sofas so as to keep them from getting dirty. So true!! Who cleans the dust every single day?
  • It's embarrassing if your wedding has less than 600 people. Not applicable.
  • All your Tupperware is stained with food colour. Not applicable.
  • You have drinking glasses made of steel. Not applicable.
  • You have mastered the art of bargaining in shopping. Not applicable. I prefer fixed price.
  • Those are my answers.