View Single Post
Old August 11, 2007, 06:17 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
Amazingly complicated explanation there. Anyhow, in my opinion, being tall is an advantage in any sport. In cricket, the sheer height of tall batsman allow them to play back-foot shots, particularly the hook and the pull, better than any other batsman. No "center of gravity" or anything like that has anything to do with it.
Being tall is an advantage in sport - granted, but I don't think it results in being a better hooker as a batsman. This is because the "hook" ( as opposed to the "pull" )shot is usually played when the delivery is something like a bouncer - aimed at batsmen's chest or higher - and bowlers do adjust their length according to the batmen so a good batsman wouln't have trouble gettingon tpp of the ball. Like any other shots, the proper execution of the hook or pull depends on reflex, timing and balance.

And I do think shorter batmen can play the drive better - Hayden is definitely an exception coz he is just amazing in the V. I think typically taller batsmen do struggle somewhat with the drive like Stephen Fleming and Wasim Jaffar, as with their longer reach they can at times be caught in half-cock ( neither front nor back foot ) positions.