View Single Post
Old July 2, 2013, 06:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
waqar was at his best in the 90s (that was his peak and a lot say at his peak he was the best ever) so for donald to be considered in the same league is quite something.
I am only giving you my personal opinion having seen the both of them at county and test level, as well as on television. Waqar was a terror in the 90s as you say. To most of the Pakistani friends I had, he was such a source of pride. There was a lot of goodwill towards South Africa in that era and I wonder if the aggression of Donald got lost in that somewhat.

In my humble opinion, the best bowlers always tend to be most devastating as a pair. Waqar had a major advantage here. The Pakistani attack of Waqar, Wasim and ably supported by the likes of Mushtaq and Aqib Javed won a lot of matches by playing attacking cricket. The South African team of the era was one for displined hostility, superb fielding and always there to grind out a result.

At county level, other than when Bian Lara played, Warwickshire has not been a fancied county team throughout the last 30 years. Waqar played in a Surrey team that had a lot of recognised batting talent playing alongside him. Waqar was perhaps a marginally better bowler, slightly better batsman than Donald, but he also played alongside more glamorous players.