View Single Post
Old July 3, 2013, 02:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
I am only giving you my personal opinion having seen the both of them at county and test level, as well as on television. Waqar was a terror in the 90s as you say. To most of the Pakistani friends I had, he was such a source of pride. There was a lot of goodwill towards South Africa in that era and I wonder if the aggression of Donald got lost in that somewhat.

In my humble opinion, the best bowlers always tend to be most devastating as a pair. Waqar had a major advantage here. The Pakistani attack of Waqar, Wasim and ably supported by the likes of Mushtaq and Aqib Javed won a lot of matches by playing attacking cricket. The South African team of the era was one for displined hostility, superb fielding and always there to grind out a result.

At county level, other than when Bian Lara played, Warwickshire has not been a fancied county team throughout the last 30 years. Waqar played in a Surrey team that had a lot of recognised batting talent playing alongside him. Waqar was perhaps a marginally better bowler, slightly better batsman than Donald, but he also played alongside more glamorous players.
possibly at peak waqar was better but unfortunately injuries influenced his career and possibly robbed us of an even better waqar. the thing about waqar is that he had a short peak but he also has some big flaws in his record against certain opposition in certain countries. donald was the better over the course of their entire careers imo, in fact i believe donald isn't given quite enough recognition for what he did achieve.