View Single Post
Old June 27, 2006, 03:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricFanBD
I am very much surprised to see this thread; almost everyone predicts Argentina will win against Germany---No Doubt in their mind? Why? I think when we will do prediction we need to use our head not mind. I know Argentina and Brazil is a very popular team among the Bangladeshis....they love them either they win or loose.

If we already followed the WC's matches.....Germany played a real attacking football, in 4 matches they scored 3 goals in first 10 mins. Yeah Argentina also did well, especially against Serbia, that game is awesome.

So I think no one is clearly favorite, 50-50 chance. But playing in the home ground and Germany has the record to win the WC twice (1954, 1974) in their homeland-----they may be deserve a semi final at least.
People are so much talking about Germany's wonderful football. But lets not forgot who are the oppositions. Costarica is in lowest echolon of the teams of this WC;Poland is also in the same leaue as Costarica. Ecuador may be better but not in the same league of say Mexico. Even when germans played them they droped 5, best XI players where as germany played in its full strength.I consider Sweden at the middle quality team marginally lower than Mexico. Lets check whom Argentine played. I would positioned S&M between 16 -24 ranking of this world cup. Ivery Coast is the most unlucky team not to qualify. They are better than Ukrain, Switzerland and on per with Mexico. I do not considering Argies match with Holland as both of them played their A team. But Holland A team is still better than Poland and Costarica.
So Germany played 2 of the worst teams (position 25 - 32) and 2 of lower mid quality team (position 16 -24) where as Argentina played 2 mid quality team (pos 10 -15) and 1 worst quality (pos 25 -32). As Holland A also played Agretine A, if we consider that then there is one top quality or higher mid quality (8-12). That means argentina played much more tougher opposition. Lets not forgot what they do to the worst opposition and germany barely managed to beat the Poles.
So even with home support I do not think Germany could beat Argies unless the 12th man play like the german game with sweden when one of the swedish defender were very harshly red carded. I think most of us also think in this direction. So ARGies are favourite over Germany.

Last edited by thebest; June 27, 2006 at 03:29 AM..