Thread: Not again Azhar
View Single Post
Old July 30, 2010, 08:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

as you wish.

click the link to see the lady with her husband.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/l...ow/6119295.cms

trivia : the lady is a Chinese-Indian and multiple national champion.
'I am completely shocked'
Rupam Jain, Jul 3, 2010, 12.00am IST

Badminton aces Jwala Gutta and her husband Chetan Anand, clear the air about her alleged ‘link-up’ with former cricketer Mohd Azharuddin

As news about former cricketer Md Azharuddin and shuttler Jwala Gutta’s link-up begins to do the rounds, we get the lady herself and her hubby Chetan Anand to set the record right. “I was shocked,” is how World No. 7 (mixed doubles) Jwala begins the conversation before going on to relate the real story.

“I heard about it from a couple of friends from Mumbai,” she adds. She says after she got over the initial shock, she found the news too trivial which only deserved a good laugh. “I could not help but laugh over it. My initial reaction was ‘what the hell is this’ and then I said to myself, ‘I care a damn’. Azhar and I have known each other for the past eight years. My family knows his entire family. You see, I am an outspoken girl. If I had an affair with anyone, I would not hide it. I have many friends. Does that mean I have affairs with all of them? Azhar and I had a conversation after some newspapers carried our ‘link-up’ rumours. Both of us just laughed,” she avers.

Ask her what this news will do to her relationship with Chetan and she outrightly replies, “These stories are not going to change Azhar and my friendship or affect Chetan and my married life. Everything is fine between us. If Chetan has said he trusts me, what more can I ask for? I don’t have to clear my stand when Chetan believes in me.”

Why did all this news crop up, we ask. “Nobody actually wants to see Azhar in the Badminton Association of India (BAI) and they had to tarnish his image (and obviously mine too in the process) in some way or the other. And since everybody knows I am close friends with Azhar and his family, I was an easy target. I guess that’s the price one pays for being famous. People have talked about his interest in helping me. I mean come on, I am already established. Azhar wanted to join the BAI to do good to a lot of junior players, not for me or money. He does not need money nor do I. All these talks about him gifting me a car is rubbish. I like to lead a good life but I don’t need anyone to gift me a car. I have enough money to maintain a lavish lifestyle. How can anyone just write anything about me without even checking it with me once? I am unhappy about the whole episode, but it’s not going to affect my life in any way.”

Chetan clarifies, “All these are rumours. Jwala and my families, have known Azhar for long. We are more like family friends. And friends do meet up and spend time together, right? Azhar also attended our wedding. His sons come to our practice sessions whenever they are in town. When Azhar was based in the city, he owned a gym and being friends, let us use the gym whenever we needed to. Now, does that mean there could be an affair between Jwala and Azhar?”

Chetan feels bad that a good friendship is being questioned. “We have always been friends with him, then why are things being talked about now and blown out of proportion? It’s only because Azhar was competing for the BAI’s post. I agree Jwala is closer to Azhar than I am, that’s why these rumours started. I completely trust Jwala.”

He also says, “I fail to understand why people talk about all these trivial issues about Azhar gifting Jwala a car. He has done no such thing. At times, we use his car and there are times when he uses ours. What’s the big deal about it? I want to say this loud and clear that Azhar has helped both Jwala and me. He has been a true friend, has always been there whenever we needed him. It’s wrong to question our friendship.”

Follow us on Twitter for more stories