View Single Post
Old August 29, 2004, 04:42 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default Razzak hopes to come back soon

Left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak retuned home on Sunday with the hope to rectify his bowling action questioned in the last Asia Cup in Sri Lanka in July.

Razzak, who claimed 2 for36 in his allotted 10 overs during Bangladesh's group match against Pakistan, was reported for suspect bowling action by both the on-field umpires, Brian Jerling and Gamini Silva, as well as TV umpire AV Jayaprakash and match referee Roshan Mahanama after the match.

The Bangladesh Cricket Board sent Razzak to England immediately after the tournament in August for a 15-day rehabilitation.

"I am confident that I will make a comeback in international cricket soon. The ICC experts who examined me also assured me that there is no problem with my bowling action," Razzak told new Age after reaching the country at around 1-30 pm by Bangladesh Biman.

"There were lots of checkups of my bowling action especially with video cameras from four angles. They closely observed my action and assured me verbally that things are positive," added the 22-year-old spinner from Khulna.

Razzak also informed that Dr Paul, who analysed his bowling action in Birmingham, would send the official report to the Bangladesh Cricket Board within a couple of days.

When asked whether he was upset for missing the Champions Trophy due to his suspected bowling action, Razzak said was not bothered about the tournament as correcting his bowling action was much important for his career.

A detailed review has to be compiled by the BCB and submitted to the ICC within six weeks of the reporting. The deadline will be over in the first week of September. The final decision will be circulated to all ICC match referees and elite panel of umpires for information.

NewAge >>