View Single Post
Old July 7, 2008, 08:03 PM
Test Cricketer

On a sidenote, this might actually be the worst A team we've sent on tour for years. The A teams during the 04-06 period were loaded with prospective internationals but how many players from this team can be realistically expected to make the grade?

Admittedly there's a marked difference between that era and this one in that the players from the 04-06 period were the first generation of Bangladeshi youngsters to come through a decent underage coaching structure, and were far superior to the older crop of players they replaced in terms of technique and ability. A further consideration is that these players are now well established in the national team and are much harder to dislodge than the players we had in the early years, but how many genuine prospects does this A team really have?

I'd say Zunaied and Shuvo are the only ones who can be expected to have a real impact at the top level, and to a lesser extent Imrul Kayes who seems to be a strong performer at all levels.

Beyond that Dhiman, Rubel, Rajin and Nazmul might all find themselves playing for Bangladesh thanks to the selectional merry-go-round, but I suspect they'll all join the ever lengthening list of Bangladeshi crickets who were thrown into the deep end and found wanting. Many seem to rate Dhiman as a better prospect than Mushfiq but I don't agree.

All that being said though, I suppose the depressing truth of the matter is that even Nafees, Aftab, Sakib, Mushfiq, Mehrab, Enamul, Nafis Iqbal and co., the players who emerged in what I've nominated as some sort of golden era, have, in spite of some decent performances, looked largely out of their depth at the top level.