View Single Post
Old February 2, 2012, 12:06 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I was trying to avoid commenting but "aloof" captain? Won 26 TEST matches already. That includes Kingston (twice), Johannesburg, Nottingham, Perth, Hamilton, Durban.

Ganguly on the other hand won 21 as a captain. With only Port of Spain, Leeds, and Adelaide to show for.
I said aloof, not incompetent. He looks disinterested, and his style of captaincy has always been....let it flow. Not once during the tour of England or Australia, did he change things up, not with selections, not with his field placings, not with his on field demeanor.

He shows no passion, which is great...because he is never too high or too low - calm personified...etc etc. But that facade falls apart, when your team is getting smashed, and the young bowler needs a helping hand, or a word of encouragement, Captain Dhoni is almost always MIA in those circumstances.

As for the comparison between their records, put up a poll, here, on an Indian forum or on Pak passion, and see who gets voted the better captain, Dhoni or Ganguly. Neither was/is perfect, and Ganguly had his own problems, but I know who the better captain was, and certainly who the better captain was when things weren't going smoothly.