View Single Post
Old February 8, 2013, 09:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Naeem doesn't show the improvisational ability, collection of shots and alertness between the wicket that someone of his power-base would require to be a very successful T20 player. Of the current group, Nasir, Shak, TiK, Mushy and Ash are the only batters who would be able to market themselves to outside T20 leagues. Even the likes of Shamsur, Jahirul or SN wouldn't. Neem is behind those guys. Note Riyadh is no where on this list.
and yet he played in sri lanka's t20 league. so riyad a player not suited to t20s was able to get a good run in a t20 league outside of BD, i realise he has played international cricket for awhile but so has naeem. anyway there are plenty of quality test players who have been able to break into the shorter formats, even those who don't have a reputation as an aggressive hitter e.g. kallis. i reckon probably most BD FC players aren't going out and looking for t20 contracts in other leagues, now i'd say in countries like australia, england, pakistan etc the players are going looking for t20 contracts. BD players probably aren't being proactive and are just waiting for one to plop into their lap.

points are valid i will not argue that, but imo if a player was to say get some exposure in the u19 world cup, with the right manager they'd be able to carve out a nice career plyaing just t20 leagues. easier said than done of course, but really, with cricket going the way it's going i don't think that's a far fetched analysis.

also think of it this way, say naeem is in the test team and does well, he'll still have a good reputation and be looked at for the shorter formats because he's performed against quality bowling regardless of format. now if he was to focus on t20s and/or ODIs and do poorly (which is possible because he's not suited to the formats), then that would hamper his reputation.

there is no reason why a player can't focus on one format and still work on their game for the other 2 formats.