View Single Post
Old August 6, 2013, 08:07 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Men in Blue

Please read my post #45 and #47 for reference.

To add a few points to that.

Playing more doesn't mean you automatically gain points. You actually lose points for not performing, specially for an all rounder who has to perform with both bat and ball. If someone gets 5 wickets in an innings but scores a duck, he'll gain points as a bowler but lose the same as an all rounder. That's exactly what happened to Jadeja at the triangular series in WI. So playing more is not the key, it is the performance.

If FC records are an indication, then Jadeja has a good probability of becoming a better test player. And the FC records are a very good indication, for in spite of the flat tracks and ordinary bowling, Jadeja has achieved those records in a domestic circuit which is in all probability and with no disrespect more competitive than what Shakib plays in.

I may be wrong, but does these rankings take fielding into account? How many runs do they both save when fielding? How many 'smart' run outs do they make happen? How many good to outstanding catches do they take? It'd make for an interesting comparison.

To conclude, I'd go with the majority consensus of Shakib being the better batsman in ODIs with Jadeja being a slightly better bowler. However, it'd interesting to find out how it turns out in Tests, as it'd be more of a level playing field since there's is more or less the same opportunity while batting at no. 4 or 7 unless you're pushing for declaration. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.