View Single Post
Old November 28, 2012, 01:10 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Clearly, you need some talent. But, the most talented ones are not always successful. Despite Shachin's inimitable career, I consider Gavaskar the best Indian batsman of all time. Clearly, he had talent. Otherwise, how could he handle the hostile pace bowling in WI in 1971 without ever facing a pacer on a bouncy pitch? People call him a boring batsman, but he had to be one. He knew that if he got out India would be in big trouble. I wonder how many records he would have broken if he had any support in the batting order earlier during his career. Anyone remember the thrashing he gave Ewen Chatfield (career economy: 3.57) during the 1987 WC? He used to be the hardest worker in the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
I don't subscribe to the "versus" in this thread title. The two aren't mutually exclusive in my book. Natural ability such as hand-eye coordination or generating pace and swing can only be harnessed and then consistently applied in the middle through hard work and discipline. Sachin Tendulkar is an excellent example of that. The supremely talented batting maestro became a genius because of his hard work. He practices with the determination and will of someone with no ability and that makes him what he is.

As much as some love to celebrate mediocrity perhaps because that's what they are, hard work and discipline without ability won't get you to the very top. It will only make you less mediocre. Hard work and discipline can make what you have perform optimally, not upgrade.